At the start of the year, we were given a brief that had a set of specific tasks for us to complete which was: You have been hired by PL Records to manage the promotion of one of their new acts. You have been contracted to create
- one music video package
- a 6 or 8 gate cover for the artists digipak
- an A4 magazine advertisement promoting the digipak
We had to break these down into small steps so that they would be easier and I began by gathering ideas based upon the requests of the brief, which began with finding a copyright free song. When I found one, I followed the brief which said to beach comb for ideas so that I would have better knowledge on what I can include in my music video and how I can do it. The beach combing had me looking at music video conventions such as costume, intertextuality and others. By doing this, I found out more information on what kind of target audience can be targeted based on what the music video shows. When working on the digipaks and the magazine adverts, one task that we had to do was to analyse other magazine adverts and see what impact they had for example looking at the focal point and seeing what impact it would have on the target audience. Doing these tasks helped me gain a better understanding on what I should focus on and how I can make my products more appealing.
Who was the artist? How did you find them? How did you seek permission?
Before searching for an artist I had to think about what genre I wanted to make a music video for. After thinking about potential locations around me I decided to go for a song that had a grime/hip hop sort of tone to it. After researching mp3unsigned.com I found an artist which was quite interesting - V Dogg. V Dogg's songs had a clear meaning which meant that portraying the actual song wouldn't be too difficult and so I wanted to go for a interpretive music video. After researching, I found V Dogg's email and decided to contact him. He never replied.
Explain the music genre and what attracted you to the artist.
The music genre of V Dogg's music is Hip Hop. His music is fairly quick paced which is what is usually seen in this genre. V Dogg's raps are mostly very vicious which means that he was trying to portray a fairly dangerous sort of persona. What attracted me to the artist was the song itself. I found it fairly catchy and as soon as I heard it, I got a bunch of ideas coming to mind such as who I would use and where I would shoot it. The lyrics were clear to understand which made it easier for me.

No comments:
Post a Comment